Back when I was in school, nothing depressed me more than Sunday evening. The Canadian world outside my bedroom window was dark, cold, and still. The only light seemed to come from my desk lamp which cast a judgmental glow on the leaning tower of binders that had yet to be cracked. I was either exhausted from a sleepover or mourning the lack of messages from my latest crush. I also suffered from S.H.S. or Sudden Hate Syndrome–the fear of being despised on Monday for no reason. And then there was that homework. As much as I begged, it simply refused to do itself.
On Monday everything was fine. But that Sunday night sadness always returned, bringing with it a giant hose that connected to my oddly deep belly button and sucked the happy right out of me.
Today things are different. Sunday is now Funday. How, you ask? Pretending, of course.
The Pretenders Guide To Loving The Day You Hate.
1. Create a killer playlist with all of your favorite happy songs. Only play it on Day You Hate.
This is Sheridan Spencer’s playlist from Pretenders.
How To Be A Heartbreaker – Marina and the Diamonds
Diamonds – Rihanna
Give Your Heart a Break – Demi Lovato
Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
Blue Jeans – Lana Del Rey
Obsessed – Mariah Carey
All I Want Is Everything – Victoria Justice
Popular – Wicked
Defying Gravity – Wicked
Never Alone – Fame
Body Electric – Fame
High Flying Adored – Evita
Light My Candle – Rent
Nothing – Chorus Line
What I did For Love – Chorus Line
Maybe – Annie
2. Settle on your outfit for the day before Day You Hate. Nothing kills a day faster than an outfit disaster. (I just made that up. Feel free to Tweet it.)
3. Be glad you’re not a baby animal. They’re cute, sure, but what guy is going to take one to prom?
4. Plan one thing you can look forward to on Day You Hate. A bar usually helps me…Salad bar, of course.
5. Pretend it’s not Day You Hate! (Note: This is for advanced Pretenders only. Clearly Graphics Designer is one of them.)
For more tips on pretending, pick up a copy of Pretenders, available wherever incredibly awesome books are sold.