A promise is a promise. And last Wednesday I promised to take Seventeen’s flirty text message ideas to the streets to find out how boys would react to them. And so I did. I am lucky enough to live in a neighborhood that is infested with skateboarders. They ride the streets with cameras strapped to their helmets so they can record their ongoing efforts to break the sound barrier. Since I give them rides to the top of the hill on my golf cart they were kind enough to answer my questions. And since they are under 18 I was legal enough not to post their faces.
1. Hey good lookin’ what’s cookin?
James, 15: I’d think her grandfather sent it.
2. U+me = 🙂
Nicholas, 16: I bet this girl giggles a lot.
3. We’ve got a situation! I can’t stop thinking about you…
Maverick, 15: Stalker!
4. (Blank text)
Nicholas & James: Pocket dial!
Me: Would you respond?
Nicholas: Depends if we were friends. If not I’d wonder why she had my number.
5. Xoxo you know you love me!
Diego, 14: Conceited.
Me: What if you really do love her? Would you own it?
Diego: Cuz she sounds like the kind of girl who would tell everyone.
6. Are you there…For the rest of my life?
Jackson, 13: Dude, I’m 13!
7. You were my “teenage dream” last night 😉
Nicholas: I’d probably think that’s cool.
Maverick: I’d want to kn0w what the dream was about.
Me: Would you ask?
Mav: (shrugs) I guess.
James: You should tell her one of your dreams.
Mav: (punches James) Shut up.
8. It’s 10:10! Time to make a wish.
Grant, 14: Don’t the numbers have to be the same for that to work?
9. Uh oh, I think my <3 went missing…did you steal it?
James: Is that a picture of her bra?
They were starting to get punchy.
10. I think you’re suffering from a lack of vitamin “me” 🙂
Diego: If I said I was having a bad day or something that would be okay.
The others agreed.
11. This movie would be so much better if you were watching it next to me.
(Group shrug). I took this to mean it was okay and might be okay to send.
12. I had a dream last night that you loved me. I woke up and looked at my texts. It wasn’t a dream.
Maverick: So, like, I already told her I loved her? In real life?
Me: Seems that way.
(He seemed confused.)
Another group of guys rolled up and they were starting to stray. They said they’d give me one more if I drove them to the top of the street.
13. I can’t spell stud without u 😉
This one got a universal thumbs up. I can’t tell of they really approved or were trying to ditch me.
Bottom line? If there’s any chance at all your heart can be mistaken for a bra don’t send the text. Flirting is fun when it’s done in person. That way you can see him blush.