I try to be positive. I really do. But here’s the thing about acceptance, optimism, and half-full glasses: they’re no fun. It’s the challenges, mishaps, and wipeouts that made life dramatic and hilarious. So when it comes to writing, looking on the dark side is my attitude of choice.
As many of you know, I’ve started tinkering around with a new idea. And with that comes a ton of character development. So this morning I made a Bug List. Why? Because my fictional friends need flaws and quirks and petty irritations. It’s those details that make them memorable. So don’t be surprised if you come across the any of these annoying-to-me traits in my next novel.
- The term “awesome sauce.”
- Food in bedrooms.
- Coffee in bathrooms.
- “Look how hot I am” photos on social media.
- “You’re so hot” comments on social media. Can aim for something higher, please?
- Washing dishes without rubber gloves. I need those gloves.
- My shortening attention span.
- Your shortening attention span.
- The excuse, “I was just doing my job.”
I would be so grateful if you shared some of the things on your Bug Me list because my #11 is running out of ideas.